Monday, January 21, 2008

Be An Example!

Have you ever heard the song "Be An Example" by Ron Hamilton? Well, today's "Seeking Him" devotional by Nancy Leigh DeMoss reminded me again of that song that reminds us of the importance of our Christ-like example as a believer:



"We don't always think about the way our actions affect others. It started with Adam, who had no idea how the effects of his sin would be felt throughout history. Our disobedience, even in little areas, can affect others in ways we can't imagine.
I need to remember that when I'm tempted to indulge my flesh with over-sleeping or over-eating or to be harsh with my words or to yield to self-centered emotions. It helps me to stop and think about the people who look to me as an example.
Jesus said, "For their sakes I sanctify myself that they also may be sanctified by your truth."
When you're tempted to sin today, remember that we need to choose the pathway of holiness—not only for God's sake and our own sake; we need to be holy for the sake of others
." [emphasis mine]



Wow - what a powerful, necessary reminder of the example that we are to others (whether we recognize it or not) as a Christian! What kind of an example are you showing by your actions and attitudes today? Even in trials and suffering (see my previous post from earlier today) as well as in rejoicing, be encouraged and challenged that, by God's grace and strength, that you will be a Christ-like example this very day. Meditate on these Scriptures...



I Timothy 4:12, "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

John 13:15, "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."

1 comment:

Emily said...

That's really good Lisa. I've been struggling...again, with a lot. [I'll be posting it in our blog] I often forget that there are others around me that are watching me. Generally because they are the same age, so it just don't hit me. Thanks for that. As well as the entry on suffering.