It was hard for me to think of a title for this posting, but the decision to call it "The New Year - 2008" is based on the fact that so many look at a "new year" as a "new beginning" in so many ways... Physically, Socially, Emotionally - but the consideration here will focus on how the Spiritual aspect of life should be the focus of all these areas we encounter in our lives. For me, the "new year" has brought a goal to read more literature that will, by God's grace alone, help challenge my each and every thought to be Christ-centered. A list of my first "reading goals" for the year are as follows:
1) The Bible - I will continue my "Proverbs for the day" as well as additional reading on specific subjects/books relevant to this season of my life (Proverbs 31, Titus 2, Ephesians 4&5)
2) Tabletalk daily devotional - for the month of January we are beginning to study the book of Matthew as well as the life of C.S. Lewis (www.ligonier.org)
3) Heart Aflame by John Calvin - a daily commentary reading on the book of Psalms (this has been an EXCELLENT read so far...)
4) Desiring God by John Piper - developing the understanding of how to "glorify God by enjoying Him forever..." This book will be the book I will read at night time before bed. Let me give just a few of the things that "hit me" last night as I was reading... "Nehemiah 8:10, The joy of the LORD is your strength... [we] find strength from spiritual joy, not natural supplies... not only does the pursuit of joy in God give strength to endure, it is the key to breaking the power of sin on our way to heaven... The joy of the Lord will arm us against the assaults of our spiritual enemies and put our mouths out of taste for those pleasures with which the tempter baits his hooks. (taken from pages 11&12)"
Over the holiday time I was able to make some "Biblical Womanhood 2008 Goals" and list out many ways of necessary spiritual growth as well as how this should work out in practical ways in my life. Lord willing, as the year continues to go by rapidly (today is the 2nd already!), the gospel will be evidenced in my life by the ways the Lord is clearly working in my heart and life to draw me closer to Himself. No matter the trials to come, the joy the Lord gives must be evidenced by a life of clear God-ward direction. To God be the glory for all He has done, is doing and will continue to do... (I Corinthians 10:31) Have a "Happy New Year 2008" by glorifying the Lord in your daily life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Lisa,
I was delighted to see your new posts. I am excited about the New Year beginning, and some of my spiritual goals.
I was wondering if you could post some hints or pictures from your binder. Em has raved about it, and I have put together a scaled down version of the ones I have been looking at. I would love to see what you have done.
Thanks for the encouragement from your blog, and the wonderful influence you have been to Em.
~~Heather~~
Post a Comment